Effective July 1st, 2012 new home enrolment fees have dropped by $150. This is good news for you, if you are about to purchase a new home from a builder in which the Tarion enrolment fees are extra.
Also, there has been a significant reconstruction of the Seven Year Warranty framework:
- Builders/vendors accountability/liability for any Major Structural Defects (MSD) have increased for the full seven years. Previously, the builders/vendors were responsible for only the first two years and Tarion the remaining years. Now claims not FULLY resolved by the builder/vendor will result in a claim showing up on the Tarion website.
- The definition of MSD has been extended. Tarion clarifies three tests to determine whether a claim represents a valid MSD claim. It claims this will result in more consistent and transparent warranty decisions.
- Tarion has set out a detailed MSD claims process including a claims schematic that helps understand the process.
Effective October 1st, 2012 other changes include:
- Better disclosure of all fees. All adjustments to the price must be located in a single location “Schedule B”.
- New forms have been created to allow for more flexibility for changing critical dates by mutual agreement.
> Tarion Website: New Policies in Effect July 1st, 2012